Today could not have started off any better. I had Taylor Swift’s new album downloaded on my phone and Chicago saw its first snow! I know a lot of people groaned when they looked out the window, but I felt so excited. I love winter, a lot. Steve’s and my first date was in winter (February, to be exact) and I told him near the beginning of our time together that I really, really liked Chicago winters. He still likes to laugh about that and how he thought “Who is this crazy person?” Sure, winter can be a bit too long. And it can be depressing when there are 20 cloudy days in a row. But give me cold air, snow and sun and I’ll be happy.
Speaking of winter, I’m trying to up my outerwear game. Steve recently told me, oh so nicely as a husband would, that my coats bring my outfits down. I won’t lie, I sometimes walk around Chicago in a fleece and my gym shoes while the rest of my outfit is work-appropriate. I really don’t care what I look like riding the El or going to and from work, but I recognize I do need some nice outwear in my closet for special events. Not to mention ones that will keep me warm. I have one puffer coat from last year and a wool coat that I purchased from Banana Republic at the end of the season. On top of those, I used my Rent the Runway Unlimited membership to rent a funky striped Trina Turk Kendall Coat. I love how long it is, keeping my legs warm, and the faux-fur collar also helps insulate.
It’s the season for winter shopping, and this weekend’s sales are a great place to start! The booties in these photos are less than $30, in fact, everything at Express is 40% off! Sephora is offering deals for all of their members, and I know I’ll be stocking up on my favorite makeup remover and hair products. If shopping isn’t on your list of things to do, this weekend why don’t you…
- Read how some b.a. teenagers finally settled the Titanic debate once and for all.
- Ship Jelena so hard. I know I am (and there’s a reason).
- Listen to Taylor Swift’s new album and try to guess who each song is about, despite her asking you not to. There will be no further explanation. There will be just reputation…
- Vote for fellow Chicago blogger Alana Jolly’s harvest salad in the #FriendsGivingCranberryContest. It looks delish!
- Beat the winter blues (if they’ve already set in) with a workout from my new favorite YouTube fitness channel.