This is a blog written by a 20-something PR professional in the Second City. Follow along as I chronicle my outfits, DIY projects, social events and more. Thanks for stopping by!
Category Archives: This Weekend
Ah – I am so behind on this post! I started gathering things to do for the weekend last week, and then here we are on Monday and I’m finally publishing the list. I’ve not been on my normal schedule mostly because I’ve been in Washington, D.C. the last few days. I’m here to work a conference (#PRLife), but it’s luck that I have family and friends to visit with at night. I hung out with my cousin and his wife (who I had the pleasure of seeing last at their wedding in Philly over the summer) and some college girlfriends. One hosted a Sunday night pasta dinner for us and we all had the best time telling stories and laughing around the table. What a great way to start the week.
I return home to Chicago tomorrow but it’s still not back to regularly scheduled programming. By the time I get back, the holiday parties and Christmas shopping will have begun! What does your December look like? Mine is quite full with Steve’s birthday and a trip to see my parents.
I hope you do have some time to relax this week, and if you’re in need of things to do, why don’t you…
- Pick out a new book from the Chicago Public Library’s “Best of the Best Books 2017” list. Little Fires Everywhere, pictured above, is on there and I can attest it’s great!
- Wait impatiently for DJ Earworm’s mashup of the top songs of 2017, and in the meantime listen to this mashup aptly titled “Perfect Struggle.”
- Speaking of year-end lists, which I LIVE for, check out the 50 tweets of 2017 that got 50K+ retweets.
- Shop local this holiday season with Chicagogrammers’ gift guide.
- While we’re in the holiday spirit, get creative with your Elf on the Shelf. Even if there’s not one in your home, the photos are still pretty comical.
Candle c/o Gold Fawn Candle Co.
My University of Dayton girlfriends and I have a lot of traditions, including Vegas trips and a long-distance Secret Santa gift exchange. One of my favorite traditions, though, is our Little Women night in the winter. For several years, any of us living in Chicago at the time will get together for a cozy night in to watch Little Women, the movie version with Winona Ryder. Most of us read the book and saw the movie as young girls, and it was so fun to revisit it with friends later in life! This year, the friend who hosted our Little Women night was a Little Women virgin and we were so happy to share the sweet movie with her! Although admittedly, a lot of it was spent debating whether Christian Bale was hot or a creep. (I thought he got even hotter with “age” despite his drinking in France.) We also realized we ask the same questions year after year. (“What was it their family was? Suffragists? Pacifists? No…what’s the word?” No, the March family was transcendentalists, as they say later in the movie.)
Today could not have started off any better. I had Taylor Swift’s new album downloaded on my phone and Chicago saw its first snow! I know a lot of people groaned when they looked out the window, but I felt so excited. I love winter, a lot. Steve’s and my first date was in winter (February, to be exact) and I told him near the beginning of our time together that I really, really liked Chicago winters. He still likes to laugh about that and how he thought “Who is this crazy person?” Sure, winter can be a bit too long. And it can be depressing when there are 20 cloudy days in a row. But give me cold air, snow and sun and I’ll be happy.
I’ve been pretty quiet around here recently. With all of the natural disasters, Vegas attack and Harvey Weinstein revelations, it’s been hard to want to write anything or even pay attention to this little site. There are so many other places to turn our attention, and I was happy to do so Saturday night watching and donating to Somos Una Voz. I thought it was pretty amazing to see some of today’s biggest stars come together and raise funds and awareness for Puerto Rico. It was just one great event in recent weeks deserving of our attention, including Mean Girls for Las Vegas and the #MeToo movement. It’s so sad that heartbreaking news has become our reality, and that the silver lining has to be people coming together to grieve and fight, but at least there are those people to keep us optimistic.
Beyond those musings, I wanted to write on the blog today to share some links, some important some not so much, that you might be interested in light of the recent news and to escape from it.
Steve and I are on our way out of town again this weekend, and again to the east coast. A friend’s getting married in New Hampshire, and then we’re going to spend two days in Boston. I went to Boston nearly 10 years ago with my best friend for a week. We stayed with her brother (who was attending MIT) and just had the best time in the city! I look forward to going back, and this time am taking in a baseball game in Fenway.
Before I took off I had to stop at Rent the Runway to try to find the perfect dress for the mountain weather. A high of 66 but low of 42, what should a girl do? I had several options, luckily, which I’m sharing above. I use Unlimited so I can rent 3 items at once, which really comes in handy when I can’t make up my mind about what to wear. The last-minute jumpsuit find was so clutch. I think it’ll be perfect for the crisp night air. (By the way – if you haven’t used the service before, I have a Rent the Runway promo code for you. Click here to get $30 off of your first order.)
What are you plans for Labor Day? This weekend, why don’t you…
- Celebrate Gossip Girl’s 10th anniversary by reliving all of the best fashion moments with the show’s stylist. (P.S. this is one of my favorite looks.)
- Look back at the show through the actors’ eyes with this Vanity Fair article interviewing the Gossip Girl stars.
- Check off your Chicago bucket list with help from some Windy City Bloggers!
- Relive your emo high school days through Audrey’s Spotify high school playlist. She just posted about it on Instagram Stories and I just had to listen! Search for Audrey Hirschl on Spotify and get ready to be transported back in time.
- Find a new favorite podcast using some of Sarah’s suggestions. She’s always telling me about a new show she’s listening to!
Arm party c/o Rocksbox. Get one-month free to the jewelry subscription service using code “SincerelyJennieXOXO”
Fist bump: it’s Friday! Or should I call it #LookWhatYouMadeMeDo debate day? I anxiously watched Tay’s social feeds last night to see when her new single debuted. Once it was live I was … underwhelmed…then delighted…then unsure…now back to liking it. It seems to have gotten a lot of mixed reviews, and I have a feeling after Sunday’s VMAs we’ll be hearing even more. One thing’s for sure, she knows how to get people talking (good or bad). What are your thoughts on the single? Are you excited for the album? I’m still holding out hope that it’s as good as 1989!
I have so much to look forward to this weekend besides Sunday’s VMAs. I’m attending a rosé-themed bachelorette party tomorrow night! Not only do I have the perfect dress and the perfect DIY treat, I can’t wait for some girl time. Paired with rosé and dancing, it sounds like it’s going to be perfect.
What’s on deck for you? If you need some ideas, this weekend why don’t you…
- Practice your photo skills in front of a neon light with this how-to video.
- Treat yourself to a new eye shadow palette – Urban Decay’s Naked Smoky is now 1/2 off!
- Hit up Riot Feast in Chicago for dinner. The space, which was formally Saved by the Max, has been totally transformed and the food is delicious!
- Better understand those press trips bloggers always go on with Hallie’s informative guide.
- Shake up your meal prepping routine using Jordan’s healthy snack box ideas.
Today I’m doing a post that’s not in the typical “This Weekend” format. I wanted to feature a Chicago philanthropic event that’s taking place on June 22, and combines two amazing things: efforts to end homelessness and handbags! I love anything that can combine fashion with doing good. Keep reading for more information on what’s included in the ticket and how it can help others.
Purses available in the event raffle (clockwise from top left): Tory Burch T Stripe Tote | Kate Spade Grapefruit Crossbody Bag| Burberry Medium Banner House Check Leather Tote | Chloe Mini Marcie Leather Crossbody Bag
You’re invited! Join All Chicago for an evening of fashion and philanthropy on June 22, emceed by Fox32 weekend anchor Sylvia Perez. Our signature Handbags for Homes event features an extensive raffle of high-end designer handbags from Burberry to Tory Burch. There’s truly something for everyone – from a purse handmade in Italy to a one-of-a-kind clutch designed by Project Runway all star Peach Carr to a vegan bag. And we don’t forget the guys either with Ferragamo belts and autographed Blackhawks swag also up for raffle.
Your $100 admission ticket purchase includes cocktails, heavy hors d’eouvres, and an entry into an exclusive Burberry bag drawing. A mission moment highlighting All Chicago’s work to prevent and end homelessness in our city caps off the evening, and reminds us that we all can play a small part in helping all our neighbors have homes. You can check out all the purses on Facebook and Instagram and purchase your tickets here – but purchase soon – they’re going fast!
I’m finally back…and I’m married! I can’t believe that tomorrow Steve and I will have been married for two weeks. After more than a year of planning, our wedding day flew by. Just like everyone warned us it would. However, we did take everyone’s advice and tried to be present in the moment, as well as keep the party going! One of my favorite surprises of the day was that a lot of our family and friends came out to the after party. It was held at my favorite college bar, so I had thought only our college friends would want to join. But it seemed lots of people didn’t want the night to end, including Steve and me.
I have so much to share about the day: what I learned about planning a wedding from afar, tips for a DIY wedding and, of course, photos. I can’t wait to post it all, and will probably make Wedding Wednesday a permanent feature. Feel free to shoot me a note if there is anything specific you’re interested in. I’d love to address any questions/issues you’re having, or just gush about the wedding some more with you all! Until then, there’s plenty else for me to share on here and catch up on in my newlywed life. Steve and I both marveled about how we hadn’t planned past the wedding, but our calendars are filling up quickly for the summer. This weekend, though, I plan to relax and hope you do, too. This weekend, why don’t you…
- Invite your besties over and queue up your favorite 90s chick flick (or ask your SO to join you, you know he wants to!). I’m embarrassed to say there are a few on this list that I need to see yet.
- Give your wallet a break and cook a favorite fast food meal at home. I found this Chipotle rice recipe and have been making it every night this week. Tastes like the real thing!
- Slip into skinny jeans and your favorite new sandals to celebrate summer. I was so happy to hear this style of pants isn’t dead!
- If you’re in Chicago, or visiting this weekend, check out Sarah’s tips for 24-hours’ worth of things to do. She visited in the fall, but most of the activities are perfect for now, too!
- Congratulate Lauren Conrad on the news that she’s having a boy! Any wagers on what Whitney Port’s baby may be?
I didn’t share much about my trip to New York City last week, but here’s the one photo I snapped while there. It’s actually really hard to get a shot of this iconic building! I was in NYC for work but we were lucky enough to have the nights free for good dinners and exploring. I was in charge of our meal plans, and one of my favorite places that we went was Sabbia at Eataly, a block from the Flatiron Building. The rooftop restaurant redecorates twice a year, and it’s now set to feel like a beach getaway – and that it did. From the cabanas, negronis and seafood, I definitely felt like I was on a warm vacation. Still, while New York as a whole was warmer and sunnier than Chicago, I was happy to get home last Friday. The following two days I able to check off quite a few things on my wedding planning list.
This weekend Steve and I are fully booked with our outstanding nuptials to-dos, but I’ve still rounded up 10 links for the weekend that you might be interested in. This weekend, why don’t you…
- Treat your mom to the gift of unlimited jewelry. Rocksbox offers gift sets here.
- Update your summer reading list with Cosmo’s best books coming out in the next few months.
- Pull out your pair of overalls, or go buy some. How cute does Joi make hers look with red accessories?
- Book your last-chance tickets to Saved by the Max. It’s stay is almost up, get your reservation here.
- Laugh at these epic one-liners from Golden Girls, then watch your favorite Miami seniors on Hulu.
- Wear your LBD two days in a row but switch up the look with Sarah’s suggestions for how to accessorize it.
- Stay out of the sun and inside with a marathon of some of the best new TV shows.
- Go designer but don’t break the bank with these dupes Erica rounded up.
- Get ready for pool season with one of the hottest swimsuit trends. I just purchased a really reasonably priced one-piece with scallops here.
- Whip up a summer cocktail following this recipe shared by Mitch on Kelly in the City.
Have a great weekend!
Well, this weekend for Steve and I will be quite different than one we recently had in Chicago. We’re taking off for Athens, Ga., to celebrate Steve’s college roommate’s wedding. There won’t be any Bulls players signing autographs there (that we know of, ha). We recently had a blast attending an event at the United Center to help celebrate the launch of American Express Platinum. Chicago was one of many cities around the country where fun events were happening thanks to Amex and Uber. (The companies have teamed up to offer card holders Uber rides.) We received awesome seats to the Bulls game and attended a post-game meet & greet with legend Scottie Pippen! Not to brag, but guests also received VIP treatment throughout the night – from an exclusive entrance with a Platinum carpet and walking away with a signed Scottie Pippen jersey in their gift bags. It was truly a date night to remember, thanks to American Express Platinum!
Of course not every weekend can be filled with a Bulls Hall of Famer. This time, we’ll have to settle for visiting loved ones in the Peach State. 🙂 If you’re looking for things to do this weekend, why don’t you…
- Read how one woman profited off of an unexpected change in flight plans. (Thankfully everything was peaceful.)
- Help plan the next bachelorette party you’re going to in one of the top destination cities. Do you want wild or tame? This survey has them all.
- Take a look at the cutest – and inexpensive – embroidered blouse Roxanne is modeling.
- Reserve your ticket to the Chicago Saved by the Bell popup restaurant. There are less than 50 days left!
- Shop the Victoria Beckham for Target collection. Can you believe there are still options left? I picked up this ruffle hem dress.