This is a blog written by a 20-something PR professional in the Second City. Follow along as I chronicle my outfits, DIY projects, social events and more. Thanks for stopping by!
Category Archives: Beauty
Now that I’m back from my bachelorette party (more on that trip later), the wedding has started to feel more imminent. The bachelorette trip was the last thing I had to plan before my big day, so now I can shift my attention to all of the decisions that still need made for the wedding. Such as, what signage do we want? What will the programs look like? What color tie should Steve wear? There are so many tiny details! As someone pointed out, it doesn’t matter if I get to them all. Who will really know if a sign is missing at the bar? But these are details that are important to me, so I’m making time to plan them. In addition to the wedding, it’s also necessary to start thinking about honeymoon excursions and attire. It’s enough to make a bride go crazy! So in the midst of all my planning, I’m trying to do little things for myself to help me relax. Thankfully, Boohoo and Soap & Glory swooped in just in time to help.
Boohoo teamed up with Soap & Glory to gift some lucky gals a home spa experience, and boy, have I needed it. I was so grateful to receive a box full of beauty goodies like hair moisturizers and face masks, as well as a “Wifey” swimsuit. Check “purchase new swimwear” off my honeymoon to-do list! Continue reading after the jump to see the products I received, including my favorite eco-friendly makeup remover!
With my upcoming wedding (and impending 30th birthday) I’m trying to stick to “quality over quantity” more often when it comes to beauty products. Sure, I still look for deals (I can’t say no to a drugstore mascara that does its job), but I also weigh the lasting effects of what I’m purchasing. I’m willing to spend more on a product if it means more pigment and staying power.
I was extremely excited to be invited to a Clarins launch event for their new spring products. Clarins was one of those brands my younger self would have never thought she could – or should – afford. I’ve gradually been introduced to the brand through its lipstick, and now I see the rest of their products are just as purchase-worthy. I find myself reaching for Clarins makeup daily, whether it’s for a day at work or night out. Read after the jump to see my four favorite Clarins products you should add to your makeup drawer.
In honor of a second year of trying to create quality, engaging client for you all, I thought I’d revisit the five posts readers seem to love the most. Take a look of the top blog posts to see if you missed one or if you’d add another to the category. And, thanks again for following along! I hope to make year 3 even better, so feel free to comment with what you’d like to see.
- Kylie Cosmetics Lip KitKylie Cosmetic lip kits were huge in 2016, and I drank the Kool-aid. I purchased a lip kit in the color Kristen and of course wanted to share the experience with my readers! This post continues to drive traffic to Sincerely, Jennie, no doubt as more and more people search for reviews of Kylie’s products. Read it yourself to see if a Kyle Cosmetic lip kit is worth it.
- Seche Vive Instant Gel Effect Top CoatI do my own manicures at home about once a week, so I’m always on the hunt for new products or polishes to help the color last. I have tried a few at-home gels in a Mani Monday series, and this has been my favorite. Read the blog post for more information about what to expect.
- Birds of a FeatherBloggers flocked to this flamingo wall as soon as it was painted in Chicago, and I was admittedly one of them. This blog post – in which I blend in with my bright surroundings – was for my 29th birthday. I still love this wall, and smile every time I pass the cheerful mural.
- Sincerely, Reading – Lessons from Madame ChicI’m happy to see that one of the “Sincerely, Reading” book reviews is a top post. It’s nice to know there are other avid readers out there! Sincerely, Reading is hosted by me or another blogger and highlights a recent good read. Comb through the series to add to your book list, or feel free to reach out if you’d like to write a review.
- Rental ReviewsMy review of clothing and accessory rental services continues to be a top blog post for a second year in a row. It’s easy to see why, renting items helps save money and offers so many amazing designer pieces! I keep this post updated as I try other services or leave ones. Check it out if you’re curious about any clothing rental services.
I’ve been a fan of Maybelline mascaras for years. The brand is my pick when I want to lengthen or volumize my lashes at drugstore prices. So I was super excited to get an Influenster box with some of Maybelline’s latest volume mascara and curvy eyeliner. In all honesty I’d already tried the eyeliner after I saw Gigi Hadid wearing it (at least that’s what the ad said), so I was looking forward to using it with the volume mascara. Click the link below to continue reading for my review.
You know all of those articles that come out right about now each year, recapping the previous 11 1/2 months? I LIVE for those recaps. By the end of every year I feel like everyone’s all “Thank God year 20xx is over.” Sometimes all you remember is the bad. But thankfully, a lot of these recaps remind you the year was pretty good, even if it was just in the form of makeup tutorials and hit singles. Here are a few of my favorite 2016 recap articles I’ve seen this year:
- United States of Pop 2016 – About mid-November I so, so excited in anticipation for DJ Earworm’s annual mashup of the year’s top hits. So excited to hear two of my fav Top 40 songs from the year (JBiebs and Chainsmokers) on one track together.
- 17 Of The Prettiest Hair Trends We Saw This Year – These trends might have been from 2016, but I bet you’ll want to continue them into the new year once you see them.
- Influenster Reviewers Choice Awards: Best in Beauty – “From drugstore favorites to splurge-worthy luxury buys — these products deliver real results and Influensters can’t get enough!” – Influenster
- 15 Spectacular Celebrity Feuds of 2016 – Whose side were you on in all of the 2016 celebrity feuds? So many snakes, so little time.
- 2016 in Focus (Getty Images) – Relive 2016 in photos. There are some heart wrenching ones, but visit the love gallery to begin 2017 with a smile on your face.
Let’s hope next year keeps giving us just as many great pieces!
You might have heard me mention Goldplaited a lot lately on the blog or on Instagram. And if you haven’t, well, listen up! Goldplaited is a finishing salon that marries a blowout bar and makeup lounge. The first time I went there I was a little nervous because I haven’t always had the best stylist experiences. My natural hair, which you don’t see often, is curly and coarse, and new-to-me stylists can sometimes be confused by it. Thankfully, my first experience at Goldplaited left me with an amazing blowout and wanting to go back for more! Especially when I heard they do braids.
Lucky for me, Goldplaited offers a “Prep Pass,” the option of one payment that unlocked unlimited blowouts and braids per month. Now, a Prep Pass isn’t always something I can see fitting into my budget, but you know I’m a sucker for trying a new subscription service. I also learned about the Goldplaited Prep Pass at a time when I was sick of trying to manage my own hair and not have it come out looking its best. So, I signed up to try the service once. Who knew I’d still be a part of it several months later?
I was recently on a mission to find shampoo and conditioner that could breathe new life into my hair. I’d been using a drugstore brand and was fed up with my hair not feeling clean at the roots, yet dry at the ends. As I was scouting for products to make the switch, I never thought to look for a create-your-own subscription shampoo and conditioner. In fact, I didn’t even know that service existed until the company Latherology connected with me. I worked with them to create custom-mixed hair products that gave me everything I was missing from my other products. And, they’re some of the best smelling hair products I’ve used (if I do say so myself).
I was so excited when I received new products from The Estée Edit. I’d known for a while about Kendall Jenner being the new face of Estée Lauder but was unaware she was also a guest editor of their new, seemingly fresher, collection. The collection is sold exclusively at Sephora. Although it looked promising I wasn’t sure what to expect. Truthfully, for a long time I didn’t think these “higher-end” products were worth the money when there were perfectly good drugstore brands out there. However, once I tried the Estée Edit products, I was proved wrong. Some even became a part of my daily routine.
I did get to try these products complimentary of The Estée Edit, but I wouldn’t be sharing them if I didn’t think they were worth writing about. Two of my favorite products are the serums I now use daily as a base of my whole makeup routine. Keep reading to find out more.
I’m a mail junkie, so I was thrilled when the September Popsugar Must Have Box arrived in my mailbox recently. (Packages ordered online give us something to look forward to for the next 3-5 business days, right?) I’ve tried lots of subscription boxes for clothing, but this was the first time I was receiving a monthly box with a variety of beauty, fitness and lifestyle products.
Obviously I dug into the box right away! The first thing that caught my eye was the hat they refer to as off-duty model style. I love a good hat when it gets cooler, and didn’t have a black one yet, so it was a nice addition to my closet. I loved the rest of the items in the box, too, valued at over $100 but only $39.95 per month, shipping included. Keep reading to see what was included in the September box and how you can get your own in a coming month. And good news, there’s a code at the end so you can get $5 off to try your first Popsugar Must Have Box! (more…)
You might remember that several months ago I shared a friend’s review of nail polish created by Formula X and Emily of Cupcakes and Cashmere. The colors were cute, but I didn’t end up purchasing any. However, when I saw a Formula X Atlantic-Pacific collaboration I had to jump on it! The three colors, reminiscent of the coast and changing seasons, were what originally caught my eye. It was an added bonus that the #ColorCurator Blair has also been a favorite blogger of mine for years. Her style is classic but original, just like these nail polishes. I purchased two of three colors, both the grays. Keep reading for swatches and a review.